Saturday, January 31, 2009

What are a few bruises...in light of eternity?

Ok, call me Queen of Random Blog Titles. Sorry ya'll, that's what happens when I start blogging at what... 12:22am on a late Friday night/early Saturday morning. :-)

This morning I was bemoaning my body's attempts to recover from what I've put it through this week. Getting out of bed is quite an ordeal! :-) And it makes my roommate laugh; she is starting to understand what it is like to room with a dancer!

In dance, we're learning a grueling dance that leaves us winded and sore each rehearsal. The choreographer warned us that we'd be sore, but I am discovering muscles that I thought my anatomy book made up! Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself--this insane rat race of wearing my body out and going to rehearsals that start at 9pm!

I'm a kinesiology major. Which means that I am always in at least one kinesiology class a semester--or working out to stay in shape for the next semester of graded physical activity classes. The rec center is my second home and my locker there has almost as many clothes as my closet. (OK, not quite, but you get the idea!) Why do I get up and run when it's 35* outside, why do I lift weights when it's such a pain to get a friend to go with me and spot me, why do I attend group excersize classes?

I am sitting here on my bed icing my knee after a rather nasty fall this evening. I was taking the stairs in the main campus library two at a time during a scavenger hunt with girls from Chara (the elevators were too slow... and everyone would know what floor I got off on), and missed a step. *OUCH*

What is the point of all of this? I think it comes down to priorities. I deal with the exhausted body from dance because I know that God is using Chara Christian Dance Company to bring His name glory on this campus and to work in our own lives. I work out "waaaay too much" (in a friend's words) because I want that kinesiology degree so that I can ultimately be a physical therapist in sub-Saharan Africa. I deal with my knee--and my own stupidity for taking the stairs too fast--because the camraderie I have with the Chara girls and the accountability we have is like nothing I've ever had before. And I can't imagine giving it up.

In light of eternity, in light of the rest of my life, in light of this semester, in light of the next moment, what are a few bruises and a few (quite a few!) sore muscles? It's a matter of what is important to me and what I am willing to put up with in order to achieve those goals. And to me it's worth it!

No comments: