Thursday, March 10, 2011

REPOST: "stopped at the light..."

I wrote this over a year ago... and I find myself at the same intersection again facing the same traffic light and the same wave. Except this time the light's starting to flicker back on again, and I'm afraid to look and see what color it is...


stopped at the light...


(Waves explode over a seawall and into Galveston, Texas as Hurricane Ike approaches on September 12, 2008: picture from teentechguru)

I feel like I'm sitting at an intersection. The light was supposed to be green by the time I got here. Or even red. Or at least a cautionary yellow.

But no.

The light is out. And I look around to discover that I am the only car in the intersection. And about to be overcome by a huge tidal wave.

What now?

I want to go straight. Continue on the path that led me to this intersection. The people and events that propelled me this way encourage me to keep it "pedal to the metal." My heart is all to happy to follow along.

Are they right?

My parents, God, and the deeper heart says to turn. Take that short right turn. Pause at the line and turn. No need to stop, just a redirection of forward momentum.

How?

It's hard to even know which way to go. The light is supposed to tell me. That's why it's there! Make sure it's safe for all and keep things flowing in a smooth pattern.

Or does it?

Is that light-enforced pattern really the best? Is it really all that safe? Is it really what is best for each individual car--or for traffic as a whole?

Who cares?

Well, frankly traffic patterns mean nothing to me. I AM the only car. The wave IS coming. The light is STILL out.

What then?

When the Light isn't blinking out a clear message, when Water doesn't seem to bring life only chaos and destruction, when I find I'm in the Driver's seat...

The still small voice is still there. And I know which way to go.

But will I?

No comments: