Sunday, February 22, 2009

True Beauty...

So, this weekend I went to Houston with a friend and we did a lot of window shopping at the Galleria. Trying on random dresses that we wouldn't be caught dead in! Dresses that cost more than $300 yet leave sequins all over the floor! We laughed a lot thinking about the girls who would actually buy these dresses--and their reactions when they see another girl with the same dress! :-)

On another note, another friend and her roommate introduced me to "Made," a MTV show featuring various high schoolers who get turned into their dream person. Some of the funniest ones are when girls want to be models and beauty queens... these normal, everyday plain Janes turn into glamour girls walking the runway for a New York City fashion show. The stuff they go through to follow their dream and get a few minutes in the spotlight!

On yet another note, one of my professors always quotes the TV show "True Beauty." Apparently, it's a survivors type show where fashion show models all compete against each other. Candid cameras pick up all of the backstage drama and backstabbing they do to each other. When these people get voted off the show, they are asked if they think they are the most beautiful person in the world. Of course, they all say yes! And then they are shown the footage of themselves during the course of the show.

You ask how all this ties together? Not sure! But I was thinking of what the world says beauty is and how different that is from God's definition. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about the subject; trying to figure out how to be cute without flirtatious, how to develop internal beauty at the same time as makeup, jewelry, and fun outfits create external beauty, and how to listen to what God says about me instead of what my classmates and dormmates say beauty is all about.

There's a part of each of us girls that wants to be told we're cute, gorgeous, adorable, and beautiful... and so often we look to the audible afirmation and the all-to-willing guys for that need to be fulfilled. Some of my friends would suggest that those desires and feelings should be squished, stamped out, hidden under the rug until marraige. I graciously propose another alternative: run to the One who is shouting from the mountaintops how much He delights in me and how gorgeous He thinks I am. He is not ashamed of His passionate love for me and He is even willing to help me become even more beautiful, He wants to teach me what He likes in a girl!

Read these verses:
Psalm 45:13 "The king's daughter is all glorious within: her clothing is of wrought gold."

Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD your God is with you... He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

Hosea 2:14 "Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her."

Psalm 45:11 "The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor Him, for He is your Lord."

Ezekiel 16:14 "'And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect,' declares the Sovereign LORD."

Let me leave you with this final verse, my prayer for all of you cyber-readers, you ethereal friends!
Jude 1:20-21 "But you, dear friends, carefully build yourselves up in this most holy faith by praying in the Holy Spirit, staying right at the center of God's love, keeping your arms open and outstretched, ready for the mercy of our Master, Jesus Christ. This is the unending life, the real life!" (MSG)

No comments: