Friday, August 21, 2009

but God...

That is my favorite phrase in the whole Bible. The story seems to be headed towards a rather disastrous climax, someone's life seems to be going down the tubes, or some nation is about to get wiped out.

...but God...

see, a "but God" statement gives hope when there is no logical reason to hope. It completely changes the story around. It allows for a startling chance in the plotline. It means that Someone stepped in, did something amazing, and someone's life was changed.

Frankly, it's comforting to know that there is always a "but God" clause at the end of of every event in my life. For every"Satan wanted to" or "the world did," there is a "but God."

"but God remembered Noah..."

"you meant it for evil, but God meant it for good..."

"but God did not give David into [Saul's] hands..."

"but God raised Him from the dead..."

"but God demonstrates His love toward us..."


Ahh, to know that nothing is without an "in case of emergency push button" sign. And to know that when we don't know we're even in an emergency God works on our behalf and changes things for our good.

It's kind of like Corrie Ten Boom's quote, "There is no pit but Christ is deeper still." He is deeper, He is farther, He is bigger, He is stronger, He is wider, He is father, He is... He is in ultimate control...

See, it's something that I am forcing myself to remember. Something that I am making myself read over and over. The pit is so not fun. It's dark and slimy and all my efforts only leave me at the bottom discouraged and tattered. But God...

Here's a video of a student group at A&M that regularly performs Christian mimes. This one is based off "Everything" by the Lifehouse group, and it was performed at my Christian dance company's end of the year performance a few months ago.


See, in some ways that girl is me. And He is trying to get my attention and get me to see Him behind all of the other stuff. And I am oblivious. But God... starts pulling on the rope. Starts pulling me in. Starts bringing me back to Him.

...but God. End of story.

1 comment:

Hope said...

Hey Katie,
Your blog is awesome!!!!
It was sooo great hearing from you!!!!
Tell your family hi for me!
Sarah P.