Thursday, April 15, 2010

What's on my bookshelf right now...

I have this ever-increasing stack of books on the shelf by my bed in my dorm room... this stack has recently undergone a growth spurt thanks to my recent discovery of $65 sitting in my Amazon.com account, and has been added to through borrowings from college friends.

Then there's the non-existent stack of books I have finished reading. It's non-existent because I've passed them on, loaned them out, or sent them home for my parents to read... good books are like a good pot of coffee--they're so much better when they're savored slowly and shared with a friend!

So here are a few of my wordy friends, perhaps you'll find something to read just in time for summer! I'm not going to do a book review by any means, but I just want to share a few thoughts with ya'll. (Click the image to go straight to Amazon.com for more information)\

Brown Like Coffee - The List Guy
I received this book as a thank-you gift from the A&M Navigators staff this past Christmas and it sat on my shelf for quite a few weeks! It's thin size didn't seem too daunting and I actually enjoyed it's warm and upbeat message that is directed to churched college students. Each section of the book starts out with a description of a specific coffee drink and then makes an analogy to the Christian life. I found it to be quickie read, and the thought provoking questions and easily applicable challenges helped get the concepts out of the page and into real life. It's a good book to read once and pass on to a college-aged friend.



Through the Dark Woods - Joann Swinney
I wish I found this book earlier. It's written from the heart of an English girl in her early 20s. She writes from the Christian perspective and incorporates a good bit of scientific data about depression and addresses the social stigmas associated with it. It's a wonderful book for those who know someone who is depressed, are worried about a loved one and aren't sure how to broach the topic, or for the depressed person themselves. One chapter provides a long list of things a person suffering from depression can do to stop the cycle ... journaling, making a pot of good tea, trying a new recipe, going window shopping, going on a brisk morning walk... This is the first book I have read that has acknowledged both physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of depression or that has indicated that returning from depression is not an easy affair that happens overnight.

For Young Women Only- Shaunti Feldhan
I've heard about this book for several years and finally bought it! I love the subtitle: "What you need to know about how guys think." Yeah, there's a lot that us girls WANT to know about guys (and we have magazines like Teen Vogue and Cosmopolitan to satisfy that), but what do we NEED to know in order to live our lives more appropriately and help our Christian brothers out? The statistics from thousands of young men from all different walks of life were really helpful and showed me a different side of the male population! The best thing about this book was that the authors give you the facts, share the Spiritual truth that correlates, but allows the reader to decide what she will do about it. It's not a book of rules by any means, but a good resource to have. Several girls have asked me about modesty, appropriate levels of sarcasm with guy friends, and have sought me out for relationship advice and it's been neat to show them what guys across the country have to say on those topics! It's also helped dispel some of the myths I've had about brothers and guys in general, even after I've grown up around so many guys!

Lies Young Women Believe - Nancy Leigh DeMoss
I haven't started this book yet, but I look forward to more of Nancy Leigh DeMoss' heart-to-heart truth! It looks like a great book for high school girls working through it on their own or perhaps with a small group of friends. It's different from "Lies Women Believe" in that it includes sections of questions and room to journal. The 25 lies tackled in this book include "beautiful girls are worth more," it's OK to one person at home and another with other people... especially online," and "I can't handle the loneliness of staying pure."



Lady in Waiting - Jackie Kendall & Debby Jones
I have not read this one either, but the subtitle also intrigued me; "Becoming God's best while waiting for Mr. Right." It's a pretty thick book but includes an in-depth workbook at the back. I think this will be a good part of my summer devotions.  :-)







The Hospital by the River - Catherine Hamlin
This is an autobiography of a woman who with her husband started the first fistula repair hospital in Africa back in the 1950s. Since then the facility has helped over 20,000 young women return to society after a procedure to correct damage done by an obstructed and prolonged childbirth process. Mercy Ships does a number of these corrective surgeries and one of the current ship crew recommended this book to me--aparently, many of these women also participate in physical therapy as part of their post-op care! I'm super excited to dig into this book and learn a little more about the incredible medical needs in Africa and I'm inspired by this woman's passion for the physical and spiritual restoration of each patient!

No comments: