Tuesday, June 21, 2011

stop looking...


What do you think?

I *love* how people say that the moment they stopped killing themselves to get good grades, God blessed them with all As. Or the moment they stopped worrying about getting a job after graduation, God provided a perfect opportunity. Or--my favorite-- the moment they stopped looking for a guy, wishing for a relationship, or planning out their future, God brought along a wonderful young man.

Ok, that's all well and good. But as we all know, correlation DOES NOT equal causation.

Obviously, God will not be treated like a vending machine; I do X, and He WILL do Y.

Ok maybe some people stop looking and stop worrying is because they have better things to do, they realize it's futile to worry over stuff outside their control, and because they remember the world WILL go on even if they don't get that grade, that job, or that guy. And so when that magical thing does happen, they think, "well, I stopped worrying and look what God did!"

Um, maybe I'm gonna stop looking and worrying because I'm too tired to. If His wants to give me a 4.0 summer, a good job after graduation, or bring that guy along sometime soon, that'd be wonderful. But I don't want to look back and see that MY actions persuaded God to give me what I want.


No comments: