Monday, February 21, 2011

Valentine's *1 week late*...

{{{So yeah, last week was insane with 3 major tests, bi-weekly meetings 
(that happened to all fall on last week), and mediating between roommates 
on my floor... so this post is 7-days in coming.}}}


The last two years (2009, 2010) I've been at the Renewal conference with the Navigators over Valentine's weekend. This year the retreat was moved to February 25-27th, so I was in town for Valentine's... and I was not looking forward to it.

I'm taking country western dance lessons with a friend of mine on Sunday nights, and last week I was late to our first lesson because I'd been home for the weekend for a friend's funeral. My mind wasn't focused on learning the polka because I was prioritizing the massive amount of studying I had to do and calculating how late I was going to have to stay in "the annex"--the only building on main campus that is pretty much open 24/7 and is a popular hang out for stressed students pulling all-nighters.

My friend then warned me as we were headed back to my room, "Meghan's (my Bible study co-leader) got a little surprise planned for you. I promise it won't take more than about 10 minutes. But be sweet... she's just trying to show she cares about you, your friend's funeral, and the fact that you're stressed."  OK, fine. I'll humor her. 10 minutes. That's it. Then off to the annex to cram for Therapeutic Principles.

I walked into my room and a few minutes later I answered a knock on the door to find not just Meghan, but 3 of my other best girl friends--Sarah, Becca, and Abigail. They brought me Godiva dark chocolate and lots of hugs. :)

Then, my door opened again and our 3 guy friends walked in with roses, chocolate (they brought me ground coffee instead!), and cards for each of us! Sarah's fiancé had been in town for the weekend and he, along with another friend who was holed up in the architecture studio, had been in on the planning of the whole shindig. Meghan knew what the guys were planning and had orchestrated an excuse to have all of us girls in the same room.

The cards the guys had for each of us were perfectly picked. This was the cover of mine...
on the inside it reads "... sure hasn't been to Forks, Washington."

The most epic part about it is what plays when you open the card:
Edward-"I will love you, every moment of forever." 
Jacob-"I will fight for you, until your heart stops beating."

Let's just say that I almost died laughing... beside the fact that every single person who was in the room (girls included) makes fun of my liking Twilight, I loved it! :) I still can't believe that the the guys scoured the Valentine's card section to find the perfect cards for each of us 4 girls, took time to write something in each card, and arranged the whole thing. I've got amazing girl friends who came to cheer me up, and I've got incredible guy friends who went out of their way to make us all feel special.

Ok, it took longer than 10 minutes... but it sure made staying up until 3:15am a whole lot more bearable!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Actually, I don't believe Meghan had a clue.

Hannah B. said...

That is amazing! I would like to see/ hear this card...:)

Jonathan said...

Yeah, John's mostly right, Meghan only knew that us guys were planning something, but she had no idea what. I had to give her some sort of excuse for getting all 5 of the girls together in one place at the same time. :)